Sunday, January 30, 2011

My First Entry

I have never "blogged" before, but I do beleive that my journey through the Communications program at Ricahrd Stockton College will be at least somewhat interesting. I feel that I should start with my background, as it could help give some perspective on my current situation. Out of high school, I was accepted to Ramapo College in north Jersey. Initially, I had chosen to be an English major; this was the only subject that I was ever told I was actually good at. Unfortunately, I soon learned that although there are a multitude of options for English majors after graduating college, the majority go on to become English teachers. This was unsettling to me for two reasons: I hate kids and I have always expected to make a great deal of money. I decided to major in business, which seemed to suit me... for about three weeks. I eventually realized that (at least at Ramapo) in order to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in business, I would have to take finance, micro economics, macro economics, accounting, statistics, etc. I probably should have mentioned that I hate math, and that each of these classes requires a pretty sophisticated understanding of numbers. While trying to figure out what my new major would be, I decided to transfer to Stockton. I won't go into all of the details, but I didn't care for the majority of the people up at Ramapo; I felt like I was living in a long Sopranos episode. As I already had friends at Stockton, I did some research and made my decision. During this time, I also decided to switch to communications. Strangely enough, this choice should have been the obvious one from the start: in communications, I can hone my writing through journalism while also exploring the marketing field. I am still not exactly sure what my career path will look like when all is said and done, but I can definitely say I'm afraid to find out. If a psychic could tell me what I would be doing in ten years, I would rather not know. In my next post, I will discuss my potential career options and what I have learned from my communications classes thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment